Monday, December 28, 2009

Why is recommending parenting classes wrong?

For centuries young mothers have been guided by older female relatives, but since the fall of the extended family this kind of support has been lost. So now young mothers are expected to cope, with little aid and increasing pressures of modern day life. It's obvious that trial and error isn't a good idea, too much at stake.


Nearly every mother (in Canada) attends childbirth classes, why not parenting classes.Why is recommending parenting classes wrong?
I didn't attend a childbirth class- I didn't feel I needed nor did I need it. As for parenting class- my husband and I are starting on the 2nd of September. It's isn't because we are bad parents...it is just because he was away for the first 4 months of my son's life and it's hard to compromise on one parenting technique and a little extra knowledge can't hurt anyone! I think parenting classes are excellent. I also think they can make any marriage stronger...it's something both parents are interested in AND you do it together. I agree with your point. I think childbirth is the easy part...it's the parenting that's difficult.Why is recommending parenting classes wrong?
I so agree with you. I attended childbirth classes with my first kid but then after that it's like okay now what do I do? If it hadn't been for my mom, I don't know what I would have done. Babies don't come with instructions but it sure would be nice for a class or two to help you prepare.
Perhaps that would be admitting they couldn't do it or that they were a failure as a woman?
I suppose cost and availability might be part of the reason. I personally think that it is something that should be covered at least partially by the healthcare system as it would prevent a lot of the issues that are common among first time parents. There were a lot of things in parenting the first year that would have been good to know beforehand, but in the small town I was living in, there were no parenting classes available. I was rather disappointed by my birthing class as most things it taught were either things I'd researched myself or common sense. Unfortunately, I realize that common sense isn't all that common. I actually used to joke for the first few months that it was a good thing my son knew what he was doing, because I had no clue.
I don't think it is wrong. Its never to late to learn.
Because not every person needs them, for one. Also, a lot of people who are parenting get offended when you tell them that they need it because in their minds they don't feel that they are parenting wrong.
its not wrong they just fell like ur saying they aint good parents!parenting classes help alot things you dont even no they show you
Good question, I strongly believe that there should be parenting classes. I went to college and studied childhood development for a few years and I am so glad I did that. It sure helps raising my 3 children. I am fortunate for that and think that educating parents can only make children happy and successful. Most of us moms have to do it all on our own. It is good they have the Parents magazine and books on child development nowadays. Back then, I don't think there were as many today. My friend and I took this class after our babies were born recommended for all new mothers from the hospital. It was called baby and you. I think hospitals should always provide this class, not just in Canada. I found this site below in California.
That's a great idea! Classes would save a lot of children from unsafe situations and bad eating habits.
Mainly because no class can tell you how to raise your child. Every child is different, every situation is different, every parent is different. Most of the time those classes give general information and if you get to deep the instructors will send you to another source for more information. Why not just cut out the middle man? i don't see the point of childbirth or parenting classes and i think trial and error are the way to go. Will you keep going back to class with every child? Will they tell you anything different? women HAVE been having babies since the beginning of time and used trial and error to care for them. Every woman in the past didn't have a another wiser woman telling them what to do, but GUESS WHAT?? They pushed on, used their instincts and raised happy, healthy members of society.
Parenting Classes Don't Always Work My Mom BS Through Hers And She Still Is The Same She Never Learned
I think they should be manditory! Every first time parent should have to attend these classes! After the first pregnancy it should be optional, however there are too many uneducated parents out there.
That's not a bad idea, actually. I know in some states when divorce is an issue, they make both parents go to a parenting class, but for what you're talking about makes perfect sense! I may consider that myself!
who says recommending parenting classes is wrong? education, learning new ideas about any subject, including parenting is never a bad idea.





and it's also important not believe everything you hear or read. ultimately how you raise your child is your responsibility. you must assimilate all the information you gather and your own personal experiences as a parent and as a child and decide on the best course of action.





since each child is unique, there coudn't possibly be a class or book that applies universally to all children. common sense rules. what's good for one child may be bad for another depending on the situation.





more parenting information at http://www.homelivingsecrets.com
I don't think they are offered very many places.





Parenting support groups are also very helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment