Saturday, January 23, 2010

Any suggestions parenting a biting 14 month old toddler?

I am gathering information to for my blog at http:///www.crunch-care.com to help support my clients with their parenting.Any suggestions parenting a biting 14 month old toddler?
DEAR





MISS





FIRST





HAPPY MOTHERS DAY EARLY OK





2ND YOU CAN BIT BUT ALL IT DOES IS MAKE THE CHILD MADDER YOU CAN TRY TIME OUTS ARE OLD FASHION SPANKINGS OK





GOOD LUCK


PEACE AND


TAKE CAREAny suggestions parenting a biting 14 month old toddler?
Bite em back
bite em back they will stop
remove said child from the situation that is causing the child to bite. Distrrract the child with a toy or talk to the child about why biting isnt right
When my brother was little he went through a biting stage and broke threw my skin. So my mother asked the doctor what to do and he said to bit him back (not enough to hurt him just enough to know that it is not nice and it hurts). Have them use their best judgment and be nice!!!!


It worked pretty well.
I'm very old school. I bit my son back and he never did it again. It is very typical for kids that age to bite. There really isn't a whole lot you can do. They generally grow out of it. Also, it depends on how the child responds to discipline: do time outs work? Scolding? Make sure the child knows they did something wrong and it will not be tolerated. Children can get kicked out of day care for biting. It is not OK to bite.
I've heard they do this because they're looking for attention. Not sure if its true or not. The last thing you do is bite them back as some may suggest. A 14 mo old is wise enough to understand you when you tell him/her ';No, that's very bad'; and be consistent and very firm about it.
Lol, please don't bite them back. were not vampires! They do this because of an emotional mix up. They really don;t understand why they do it, but it's usually out of frustration. I would simply explain that biting it not the way to solve the problem. If they steam up more let them cool down in a time out. They have to learn how to control this emotion.
I would urge you to be very careful. My cousin, Ryan, used to bite when we were toddlers. I hadn't seen Ryan for a long time, but we met up again in highschool, and began dating. (its ok, my dad is only his mom's half brother) I noticed sometimes when we'd make out, he would try to bite me. Cut it off at the pass before your child turns into a teenager who has a hard time getting dates because of biting. PS- Therapy helped Ryan and we have now been married 6 years and are the proud parents of conjoined twins.
14 month olds usually bite out of frustration at not being able to communicate their feelings. They can understand a lot but may not be able to talk a lot. My son does this when frustrated. I just tell him ';no biting'; and move away from him. It is a stage. I do not suggest biting back.
My son is 15 months and bites the s**t out of me. I do though bite him back sometimes, not enough to leave a mark but enough so he will know that it hurts. I figured that maybe one day he'll learn. Actually he hasn't done it in the last couple of days. So maybe it worked.
make them bite down on a teething ring for a minute, if you make them keep biting and biting they hate it and will eventually get the idea that it is going to happen every time they bite and will stop, daycare experience. lol
I suspect you won't like my answer, but if you slightly bite back, the child will discover what it's doing and stop, if it expects to get paid back fairly!
I am willing to bet that the 14 moth old does not know he is hurting you. I have worked with kids and had one bite me real hard. I pretended and was very dramatic on how bad it hurt. I pretty much threw a fake hissy crying fit. I then ( still being kinda dramatic) told the child how bad it hurt and put the child in time out. After doing it a few times, he quit biting me. I know sometimes people say to do it back, And i fully agree but only after you exhausted all the possibilities. Sometime i feel that the lesson may be payback and that should be avoided As well.
As they said bit ethem back, not to hard to break the skin, but just enough so they know how it feeels I'm sure after that they'll stop, if not time out time out time out!

No comments:

Post a Comment