Thursday, January 21, 2010

If they gave out grades for parenting?

would yours be holding steady, going up, or going down with each subsequent year you've been a parent?If they gave out grades for parenting?
I'd like to think mine would be going up. I am always working at being a better parent and trying to be creative. I think most first time parents have areas they can improve upon so I would hope I am a better mother now than I was 14 years ago when I had my first. You learn as you go and improve all the time. I'd have to say because of my previous experience working with children before having my own, I've alwasy been on the honor roll though ;)If they gave out grades for parenting?
I think we all learn along with our children. At least I do. The older my children get the bigger the problems get and the more I have to put into working out those problems. I get more experience as each year goes by. With that being said I would have to say my ';parenting grades or report card'; would be going up each year. Not that I started out with bad grades. But it's kind of like a credit score, the longer you have credit the better it gets, as long as you make responsible choices. I am very proud to say that I am a great parent, so I would gladly hang mine on the refrigerator, or put in on the church bulletin board for all the matters!
I totally agree with your second additional details. I think I would give myself different grades with different 'quarters', like in school, but in this case, I mean seasons. I think I'm a better parent in the spring and summer quite honestly! Mostly because those are my favorite seasons and I'm just overall more happy. I think overall I would earn a B/B-. Although I know that's an 'above average' grade, I don't think I'd be proud enough to hang it on the fridge. There are some things I need to work harder at and some things that I need to change, just like real school grades!





When I was in high school, I struggled with AP Statistics but it was the only math being offered senior year. I also took Fashion Design. AP Stat I worked SO hard for a grade in, and earned a B-. In Fashion Design I had an A+. I was more proud of the B- though because I know I worked for it. Kind of like parenting. Having an A+ in parenting, I think, is impossible because it's hard and you need to work at it. I don't know if I'm making sense, but my point is that I did nothing in Fashion to get that A+ ...it was just an easy class. AP Stat was hard, but I was proud of my B- because I worked for it.





So you know what? I am proud of my B- because I'm working at it!
I think in most areas I have improved with time as a parent... but my kids are now 15, 18, 20 %26amp; 21 so I better have it right by now because there aren't any do overs now! right? LOL





It's definately a learning experience though and no manuels came with mine unfortunately! Not to mention every child needs different things in different ways - it's so complicated and emotionally difficult to say the least. Albeit it's rewarding and wonderful too.





I'd give myself an over all B as a parent in most areas.....
It depends whose grading me. Some people can be sooooo critical. And I can be very critical of myself. I was actually thinking today. I have learned soooo many things so far that I will definitely do differently the next time. Its not a closed book or anything, and I am constantly trying to improve. But I have started habits with my daughter that now are close to impossible to break (example: ';bed-sharing'; %26amp; being held ALL the time) She's only 10 weeks.





All in all, I'll give myself a B or so... there's always room for improvement. And the next time I will have more experience, lol. But I truly do my ABSOLUTE best with my daughter. I am still learning.... and although I have a lot of experience with children (have 14 siblings). Every baby is different, its ';parenting in progress';, I guess.





***I would hang mine on the refrigerator, to show ';Mommy's not perfect'; and to remind myself ';what needs to improve';.





I would ';hope'; my grades are going up... as I am learning and getting alittle more experience.
I'd say that it has gone down since my son was first born. I've never had great patience, though it has improved a lot, and my temper has always been a issue, but again it's improving.





I would hang it on the fridge to remind myself where I need improvement. I'm a pretty tough critic on myself. Stay@homemomma makes excellent points though. Kudos to her!
I know that I am an excellent mother. I go above and beyond in most ways and I consider it my career and I want to be the best at it. That being said, I am really hard on myself and I never can give myself credit for anything. If you were to ask me, it would be low. If you asked anyone else it would be really high. I wouldn't hang it on the fridge, because I think as parents there's already to much judgement going on. We're always comparing ourselves to other people and comparing our kids to other kids and comparing ourselves and our spouses etc. We should all just do the best we can each and every day and try not to worry about yesterday or what others may think of us.
My report card would probably look something like this:





School Involvement: B- (we do what we can when we can but would like to do more)


Supervision: A (I'm like a hawk....I see every move!)


Health/Well-Being: B (I still can't figure out why we have non-stop sniffles, but I try)


Deportment: B (she says ';excuse me';, ';please'; and ';thank you'; as she blasts through a crowd....eh)


Parental Character: B- (I'm trying really hard to get better at this)


Overall Parenting GPA: B (I'm doing well but could do better)
Well, I think it depends on the day. LOL Sometimes it's a C+, sometimes we're working towards a B+, maybe even an A-. It all depends on my mood! LOL





I think I'm getting better for the most part, simply because it's so engrained in me and I do love being a parent. However, there are those days when I'd surely get a detention slip and DEFINITELY have to forge a signature. LOL





And just when I think we've reached a high point where everything's great and we're doing well, a new phase or transition starts and we have to start from scratch. LOL Kindergarten, a new baby, potty training *again*, that sort of thing.





Stay@home, I've begged and begged that Des add me as a contact, to no avail. LOL
Mine would definitely go up and down, as there are a lot of surprises in things to come. Every time you think you got it down, some changes happen and you have to rethink that theory.





I would still proudly hang it on the fridge though. I have nothing to be ashamed of as I give it my all every single day!
I would get an F an organization. I need to learn that ';things'; just don't go on the table or counter tops, they each have their own home! I forget this and end up with stuff everywhere. It's so easy to just throw it on the table or the steps and my desk. If I could get this down %26amp; keep up on laundry I would be very happy!
I have definitely been ';going up';.


Due to some irresponsibility and immature choices on my part, I started my life as a parent at the age of 17, so I had nowhere to go but up!





Almost 16 years later I am still improving.





I would so be proud to hang my report card on the fridge.
Very good question. I polled my pals to give me a grade (yes, I'm sure they are biased) and I have an A+ so far. I certainly hope it never goes down and even though they are biased I hope they are also right and I deserve it!


EDIT**


Desmeran, I love you why won't you be my contact? ;) Lol, you get that a lot I bet?
Grades? I'm kinda hopin' this is a pass-fail thing LOL. Do I get a sep. grade for effort?





I think I'll wait until the kids are 30 and then I'll grade my work---right now how can any of us really know how we are doing? Our kids are still developing and so are we. :)
Well my baby is only 6 months so so far I think I have done a pretty good job and the best that I can do, I think I would get a B maybe a B plus. I would be proud to put it on the fridge.
I'd *hope* they are going up. :)





I'd hang it on the fridge, most definitely. If it's not something to brag about, it would be a constant reminder of the fact that I need to do better.
I would give myself A's. Occasionally lower when I raise my voice so she'll listen. Other people may not grade me so high. But I know they're loved unconditionally by both my husband and me. And they know they're loved, which I feel is most important.
I'm a stay at home mom and I would say that I'm holding my own if I were to be graded. Some days are better than others but I'm holding my own next to anyone else out there.
Cute question. I think I would get a different grade each quarter but it would hold steady to a b-.
well who is grading me? myself, my kids, spouse, family, or the outside world?


if it was me - it would be moving up. i think i am a much better parent than i was when i first started but still have a ways to go and a lot to learn.


my kids - they think i am awesome so i think it would hold steady, same from my spouse.


my family and the outside world - well i'm sure they would have plenty of things to nitpick me about and honestly i don't really care what they think of my parenting or my abilities.
ROFL!!!!!!!!! By the standards of most of the people around here I would have been expelled.
You do ask the hard questions....I have to think about this answer.





My kids did have to let me grow into being better each year I think.


When your new to parenting your are terrified of doing any little thing wong, or at least I was. Like the pacifier fell on the floor and must be boiled for the first baby and then the next baby you start that way but loosen up. When I had the second it was easier but they were only 17 months a part so I was still learning. Five years and two older stepchildren later the new baby was joy not so much work. I knew he wouldn't break and I knew that I wasn't going to ruin his life if I wasn't with him every minute.


So I made lots of mistakes but I claim them all. Nobody will sign my report cards. If i scewed up I own it. And I did at times. Teenage years don't come with out mistakes.


As adults all my kids are good people. They have good work ethics and good hearts.Plus they still love me.


So if you guys get discouraged and worry about doing the right thing all the time, don't. Your kids will see when you've done your best and forgive a few human errors.

No comments:

Post a Comment