Thursday, January 21, 2010

Parents, if you parenting styles differ drastically from another's?

how comfortable would you be w/having them as a friend? Could you accept the difference or would it create a niche that could not be overcome?





The biggies:


spank or not


discipline in general


breast or bottle


religion


scheduling (bedtime)


etc.Parents, if you parenting styles differ drastically from another's?
I would be fine with it. Just as long as they don't try and force their beliefs on mine of course.Parents, if you parenting styles differ drastically from another's?
I think slight differences would be ok (example i spank you dont, i breastfeed you think its gross, your kid has no bed time and mine is on a strict schedule) as long as they weren't pushing things on me. But huge differences (maily discipline as in you let your child do whatever he/she wants 24/7) i feel we would have problems b/c if their child misbehaves and starts breaking things and acting up at my house and they are not disciplined they will not be allowed back (and i probably wouldn't want their child around mine for fear of them rubbing off on my kid) . I think it would be easier to have someone who's styles are some what similar than completely opposing. I don't think i would be a lasting friendship for long.





At least in my case
I have actually had friendship's disintegrate due to drastic differences in parenting styles. My life is all about my children, making sure they are well taken care of, provided for, taught morals and discipline, and above all else, all the love I can give them.


I have had friends who were swell friends but as parents, well, not so good. One friend, instead of putting oil in her tank to keep the house warm and provide a warm bath for the children opted on frivolously spending the money her husband gave her (he had a great deal to do w/this as well). I couldn't respect her choice and in the end it really put a hurting on our friendship.


Another would purposely dress her children in mix, match, grungy clothing, tease her daughters' hair to look unkempt, muck up their faces and be-bop from church to charity to milk whoever she could of money w/the image she was worse off then she was from the way her children looked. That ended.





The point is, although these people made pretty good to great friends, because the way they were raising their children and/or the way they treated their children didn't sit well with me, I just couldn't feel comfortable continuing the friendships.
I'm kind of the ';cool'; dad (i was told this) just cause i'm laid back and kinda let my kids and their friends do whatever, and i know so many more paranoid moms and dads. Its harder for them to be my friend when i say things like ';theres no blood flowing, keep on going'; but some have told me that i've taught them to be more laid back. As for spanking they can spankt heir own if they want and i got no problem with it. I planned on doing it with mine but i could never bring myself too. All those other things is totally up to them since its their kid and not mine. Religion is usually the big case for argument so i try to avoid that one.
So long as his or her children weren't a bad influence on mine, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Also, the parent has to know that if a child is in my house, they must respect the rules in my house. I once had a friend have a fit on me because I told her child (calmly, politely) that we do no climb on the furniture. She had a absolute fit about me correcting her child, about how unreasonable I was (children don't know any better, you know) and all sorts of things. I made it perfectly clear to her that in MY house, people regardless of age, will respect our rules and our property, and if she didn't like that, she could leave. After that, she left, didn't call me for a month, then called crying and apologizing because (surprise, surprise) her daughter broke her arm falling off the couch.
Personally it doesn't matter what any of my friends teach their children as long as there wasn't anything drastic such as a parent doing drugs in the house or abusing a child, etc.





Discipline, breastfeeding, religion, bedtimes, etc. are a parent's choices and I feel that to each their own. As long as they respect my choices as well then there wouldn't be any problems. I have friends who have very different beliefs and we accept each others.
i can imagine disciplinary differences (not merely spanking or not, but belittling, abusing, or humiliating a child) that would make it difficult for me to interact with someone. i can imagine some fringe religious beliefs that if they were of the ';in your face'; variety and were not consistent with my own morals might fracture a friendship. of the other things you mentioned, they're details and certainly not something to end a friendship over.
I wouldn't care, but I don't want to hear a lecture about my parenting style. If I always got told that I wasn't doing things right then I would not have them as a friend. A friend should accept you and not lecture you.
Me and my close friends parenting styles do differ majorly,we are still friends though.I think a true friendship could last with differences in who you are as a person even not just parenting styles.
We usually end up as friends with people who we have things in common with; however, all friends have differences, and if we care for our friends, we accept them at face value and don't judge them.
i think as long as they teach their children to respect and be good people then there ways are not my issue. i would of course not put up with abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment