Saturday, January 23, 2010

Co-parenting techniques with step parents and bio parents?

Step parents: how much of a role do you play in parenting your step children?





Bio parents: how much of a role do you think is appropriate for step parents?





Does it depend on the relationship? Cirumstances? Any exceptions?





Why?





Just wondering what other people do...I'm kind of bored, my boss made me come in today.Co-parenting techniques with step parents and bio parents?
I am a stepparent. My role is to be a parenting partner to my husband in his life. That means that, when his child is with us, we work as equals to parent her. When he's dealing with his ex re: co-parenting issues, I am his support person, but he is the only one who contacts her.





About 1.5 years ago, after mom moved my stepdaughter out of state without notice and refused to allow us to even exercise visitation, the courts reversed primary residence to my husband -and- my stepdaughter moved in with us. Since then, mom has refused to exercise her visitation or make any contact at all. So, I'm now acting as dad's parenting partner %26amp; the main adult woman in her life. But, still, stepmom - dad's wife - not 'mom'. That position is already filled in her heart %26amp; in her life %26amp; that's OK. Because my position is special, too.Co-parenting techniques with step parents and bio parents?
My husband is step parent to my eldest son and he's bio dad to our three year old. He does put his own son first and it causes a lot of friction as he lets him get away with too much and doesn't understand how hurtful it is to my son.





My husband is unthinking and selfish and I hope that my eldest son doesn't leave to go and live with his bio father one day because my husband tells him off so much. I guess my marriage will be over if that ever happens.





My husband should grow up and stop being so self-centered.
In a perfect world, the bio parents should sit down and decide the rules of the house every six months. But they can't.


Usually. Each household parents need to make those rules and explain them to the kids. Write them out and display them too. Also display the consequences of going against the rules. If the rules are broken, just follow thru. If a problem arises, the bio parent should handle it. Good luck
As a bio parent I think a step parent should take into consideration that the child has both a mother and a father. I feel that both sets of parens need to be on the same page when it comes to rules to live by and disciplining using the same measures. If the custodial parent uses time outs, then the non-custodial parent/step parent need to use time outs. If the child isn't allowed soda and junk food in the custodial home then the non-custodial parent and step need to follow through.


This keeps everything on an even kiel and the child knows exactly what is expected of him-her
You should play just as much of a role as the bio parent does. If the kid does not like you then you might not want to punish as much until the kid becomes used to you. But that does not mean the child should get away with things. He or she has to reliaze that although you are not their bio parent you still deserive the respect and gratitude as if you were. The child sooner or later will begin to respect you. know wheather the child is ever going to like or love you as a parent is unown only the child will know.
If both the bio parents are active in the childs life then the step parent should back off for the most part and just be there for the child when the child comes to them for help. Step parent should not make any big choices for the child without bi parents consent. If i remarried I dont think I would my new husband punishing my children I think I would want that job left to me and my kids father. But thats just me!





I loveeed watching that movie step mother i think it was called with julia roberts!!!! Step parents can make a great impact on a child's life. I was lucky to have a really great one in my life who never over stepped the lines but was a great influence on my life.
I treat my step children the same as I treat my bio son, I love, discipline, attend school functions and sporting events for all of them. The childrens mother used to hate me and would say horrible things to the kids about me and didn't want me at any of their functions, but finally I told her I am not going anywhere and I am very much a part of their lives (we have joint placement 50/50). She would get mad at me for reading with them at night, and I just told her unless I am beating or mistreating your children you need to get over it, we get along much better now and actually will sit together at ball games and things. So anyway I am done rambling, haha! only a half hour left of work for me :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment