Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Do you have a favorite Parenting Quote?

Like a motto you live by?





DES - I remember one question you answered and you said you received a sappy poem that said something about saying yes often and only no when needed or something like that........ Help me out. I loved it (yes, I'm a sap, thanks). Can you tell me what it was again?Do you have a favorite Parenting Quote?
Mine right now:


';Remember, when your child has a tantrum, don't have one of your own.';





My other favorites:


';There are three reasons for breast-feeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it.';


~Irena Chalmers





';A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for.';


~AnonymousDo you have a favorite Parenting Quote?
I have a personal quote but it doesn't necessarily fall into the realm of *parenting*.





*A better understanding for a brighter future.*





It *came to me* after Tyler's diagnosis. It means that with help %26amp; understanding on his condition, we can turn things around and help him have a more normal life.
';Its better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.'; - my father





';Seek to understand .... and then shut up'; - my coworkers





';Its better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all'; - Unknown





';Life isn't easy and seldom is it fair, but that's what makes it worth living.'; - my sister





';Everyone needs cheerleaders in their every day life, so make sure to surround yourself with people who say 'Yes You Can!''; - Unknown





';Nobody wins ALL the time, and sometimes the best way to succeed in life is to fail.'; - my skating coach





';When you fall down, get back up, brush yourself off, and try it again!'; - my skating coach





';Don't slouch, you're crowding your heart.'; - my skating coach





';Don't let your mistakes get the best of you.'; - my mother





';Don't take life too seriously. It certainly doesn't take you seriously.'; - my mother





';Smile though your heart is aching. Smile even though its breaking. When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by, if you smile through your fear and sorrow. Smile and maybe tomorrow, you'll see the sun come shining through for you.'; - Nat King Cole ';Smile';
Why! Who makes much of a miracle?


As to me, I know of nothing else but miracles.


-Walt Whitman


http://www.bartleby.com/142/226.html





[i know it's not a parenting quote precisely, but i can't imagine being a parent (or child) and not having it resonate]





but to the one you're asking for, i can't remember what it was called, who it was by, or any of it but the part that struck me as very good advice: ';say yes as often as possible; say no when necessary.';
i have a few:


';u will never sleep again'; an old aunt told me this when i was 9 months pregnant, and i didnt get it then but WHOA Do i get it now!!!


';kids cry, thats just what they do'; that one gets me through the tantrums and helped a lot when they were newborn.


';time flies'; is a good one to think of when they driving me up the wall.
';You get what you get, and you don't get upset!';





Or as they country folk at our day care say, ';You git what you git, and you don't pitch a fit!';





(we are transplants from the north, and I find the difference in dialect pretty funny. I almost died laughing when my son came home from day care and corrected me on the wording of that quote)
It may not be my favorite.. but I was thinking about the thing that seems to get said a lot, pertaining to motto/quote, to my children.





They both have a tendency to over react so I think something that gets said a lot to them is ';It's not the end of the world.';
On our 5th Anniversary my husband gave me a beautiful hand-carved plaque that read...';The Greatest Thing A Father Can Do For His Children Is To Love Their Mother';....he did his best to live up to this everyday of his life, men like him only come along once in a lifetime.
I have two:





1) I brought you in to this world; I can take you out! (Dad's warning to me!)





2) If you burn your tail, you're the one that has to sit on your blisters! (Mom's lecture to me about always trying to do the right thing.)
';Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part'; - My mom's favorite saying to help teach us to be responsible as teenagers. I can practically hear myself saying it in another few years when I have a teenager of my own!
';Pick your battles.';





That one has helped me greatly in deciding when to make an issue of something and when to let go and just appreciate having them in my life.
My favorite is by Helen Keller





';Although the world is full of sorrow, it is also full of the overcoming of it';
';Kids are God's greatest treasures';


-I can't remember the author's name but it was in one of my devotionals.
This is not a motto I live by, but I like...


';There is only one perfect child in this world, and every mother has her.';
';ahhh fcuk it';
Life's a b**ch


Then you die


F**k it all


Let's get high























Ohhh you said a parenting quote...nevermind!
';All you need is LOVE';
';That which does not kill us only makes us stronger.';

No comments:

Post a Comment