Thursday, January 21, 2010

What is free ranging parenting(something like that)?

And is it good or not?What is free ranging parenting(something like that)?
Googled it %26amp; found an interesting website on it here: http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/





Overall, I like the idea of responsibly, lovingly and respectfully encouraging independence in my children. Due to my own life experiences and experiences the kids have had with bad strangers in their lives, I find that I'm a little too cautious sometimes %26amp; reading up on this may help remind me to trust my kids (and myself %26amp; the lessons that I've taught them) a little bit more.





As with anything, this can be taken to extreme. I think it's important for each parent to get to know their own particular child well enough to know what s/he is capable of handling at each stage in their life. I also think that it's a parent's responsibility to monitor their child's independent behavior, to make sure that they are making good decisions on their own.





One post on the blog linked said something that I truly agree with - ';given love and preparation, children are usually more capable than we think';. I think that love %26amp; preparation is key, though. Any 'free range parenting' that doesn't include that seems more neglectful than responsible.What is free ranging parenting(something like that)?
Free range parenting. I think it is when parent let their kids make all their own choices about everything. No school etc. I don't see how it can be good. Children need to be taught responsibility and other things before they get out into the world and have it shoved in their faces. They also need to know how to read, write and do math. I do agree on letting them have certain choices, but not complete control.
Is that like ';cage free eggs';...lol





I'm curious to see the answers you get.








**************************


Wow...that sounds like the worst idea ever.





Bottom line is ...things AREN'T what they used to be...so I think it would be naive to just pretend that they are and send my most beloved 'possession' out among all the potential dangers...





Now if I lived in a community that was more family friendly...I may be a little more relaxed on the subject...but as it is..I live in a suburb outside of Los Angeles and there's no way in holyhell that I'd ever let my child roam free in this.





We're in a fine upstanding wealthy community....and that didn't stop a woman from being mowed down in a residential area, whilst crossing the street IN A CROSSWALK, in a school zone, with her two year old nephew at two in the afternoon on her way to the elementary school a block down the road.





Regardless of the presumed safety of the neighborhood...people just don't seem to give a crap anymore...





so even if their intention isn't to inflict harm ...they certianly are too preoccupied with themselves to be trusted to be careful with my son's life.





Letting children roam free in this day and age sounds like the stupidest idea ever.
That's how I was raised. I never knew there was a name for it. I turned out okay. I am pretty much that way with my kids (or will be when they are old enough) but DH is much tighter with the reigns, so I think we will strike a good balance.
Looks like you let your kids go places by themselves. I wouldn't do it under a certain age...





http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/
its called being a lazy parent and not watching your kid

No comments:

Post a Comment