Thursday, May 13, 2010

Do you think it is good parenting to promise your kids money for making A's and B's?

Nope. I expect my kids to earn good grades. They don't get prizes for doing what is right. I will tell them how proud I am and I will call their grandparents to share their good grades and hard work, but I won't bribe them to work hard.Do you think it is good parenting to promise your kids money for making A's and B's?
we give our son money for a A's....and take away if the behavior needs work or unsatisfactory...if he gets A's and S he will be rewarded..It has been like that forever he is in 8th grade now and still gets A's and B's only because he wants to not because we are pushing him...He knows if he came home with B's and C's we would not be upset even a D but an F is unacceptable at any time...He is rewarded for his grades...and he chooses to make them for money...The main thing is he knows he can make any grade, however an F will take away computer time and skateboarding time...:)Do you think it is good parenting to promise your kids money for making A's and B's?
my parents did it a couple of times with my brother im not sure y tho
I wouldn't say it's good or bad parenting, it seems there are many theories as to what an education should mean to a child. But where does it end? Let's say the family falls financially on hard times - the child ends up feeling cheated and the parents guilty.





If my children want to earn money on top of their allowance, we offer them the option of doing extra chores around the house.
no, they should learn all they can by theirselves. reward them with how proud you are of them and showing them they can do it if they study hard enough.
i get presents for my grades. Nothing big and i get something whether i get good or bad grades, but i get to decide what i want and am the one who decides that i deserve less because of my grades (ex.. i'll think.. oh i didn't do so well so i choose something smaller)
my mum used to get me people to help me on those subjects i wasnt doing very well in..because it wasnt because i didnt want to pass ..or i wasnt paying attention..but because i didnt understand.





however..if i did bad..in a subject i normally did good on..she'd know i was being lazy..and would take ground me ..or not let me go out for a certain time.





she didnt have money to give me everytime i had good grades..but we'd do something together like go watch a movie..get junk food..or she'd let me go to a friends party..and things like that.
I think positive reinforcement is better than negative. Why not have a little extra incentive to do well in school?
Didn't work for me. I think the issue is, are they willing to be the best they can be.
It worked for me. I used to get $100 if I made high honor roll, and $20 if nothing below and 80. Let me tell you I never missed high honor roll. I seen my name in the newspaper EVERY time. My grandma is the one that gave me that, my mom couldn't afford something like that.
i don't see anything wrong with it, its like saying if you go to work on time and do your job you get a pay check. it helps them be responsible. We would only get money for report cards tho not individul assignments, and we would also get 3 report cards more like reports on how our grades were at the time, a semester, and so my parents would take the final report cards of the semester, since those would be our final grades, and pay us for those. and they paid us what grade we were in. example: if we were in 8th grade, we would get 8 dollars for a's and (half) 4 for b's.
No. I think it's good parenting to praise my kids for getting good grades, or for trying their very best, regardless of the grade, but not to pay them for it.





It's something that should be understood. They should do their best, because that's their job.
No. Then they will want to ';get paid'; for every good thing they do. That's just a twisted way to see the world, in my humble opinion.
Yep. And don't listen the the nay-sayers here. It's great training for the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment