Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What was the WORST parenting advice you have ever received?

When I had my second child, I was told to put her somewhere away from us unless she cried because I wouldn't want to make my first jealous. I was told to basically treat her like a decoration unless she needed me. What?!?! I still think it sounds ridiculous!What was the WORST parenting advice you have ever received?
I was bothered when my daughter turned 8 weeks old, and all of a sudden everyone was suggesting I keep her up later or skip afternoon nap so she would start sleeping thru the night. My mom told me it would just happen on it's own, when she was ready, but everyone else told me otherwise. It was like this huge deal to them. Needless to say, I continued with our regular routine, and a week later she was sleeping on her own thru the night anyway! It annoyed me that everyone else was pushing something so strongly that seemed really petty to me. There was also the fact that I already knew that when she stayed up late, she would in fact wake up EARLIER than usual, not later like most people seem to assume.What was the WORST parenting advice you have ever received?
From the liberal education and psychology professors in college how terrible spanking is. I believed them, until I became a Mom, and got to thinking how remarkably well adjusted my sister and I are considering how our Mom was a dedicated spanker. Actually, according to what I remembered one professor saying we should be neurotic basket cases since we were usually spanked in the ';worst way';--bare bottom and sometimes with a hairbrush or wooden spoon.





Then I looked at the nospanking ';research'; and found it was at best inconclusive and at worst a sham and there was actually good research that spanking is not harmful and is one of the best ways to get children to follow their parents' wishes (you never see these reports in the mainstream media or the pop psychology books). I became a pro-spanking Mom and have never regretted it.
I have a few that were the worst..





- Babies are great manipulators and need to be disciplined with force, not cuddles.





- Vaccinating your child will seriously harm him later in life.





- Feed your child solids from 3 weeks old and they will be healthier than other babies that waited until 6 months..





ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. =
Never discipline your child in any way - you should always discuss your child's behaviour with them in an adult way, so they decide to behave well for themself.





Oh, and ';reins are like dog leashes and demeaning';.





Strangely, I've only ever been given either set of advice by mums of babies too young to have needed to use it themselves.
i dont have kids but the worst advice ive heard is ';dont physically discipline'; kids need a good slap when they are bad sometimes you gotta really lay it on em to get the point through other wise they just laugh at you. like i did i could have been beaten more and i wish i was
pick up your son WHENEVER he whines! it won't spoil him honest!!





well ya know what? it spoiled my friends kid.. she wasn't happy unless she was beig carried. the first wimper and they scooped her up. shes about 2 and a half, is able to walk on her own, and still will throw a fit if shes not being carried when she wants to be.





with my son i would do other things to help him calm down once he reached 6 months. i obviously still gave him cuddles all the time.. but he learned how to be a bit more independant!





(of course im meaning after the first 6 months.. not when their new borns! i cuddled him almost non-stop then!)
From my mother-in-law, who told me that if I pay too much attention to the baby and not enough to my husband, he'll have the right to go out and have an affair. Of course she said this right in front of my husband. Nice, huh?
Don't correct a child's behavior until they are school age, because toddlers don't understand anyways. Obviously this was one tid bit that I, thankfully, chose not to follow.
This black guy told me he punches his kids in the throat when they don't listen. He thought it was really funny. I'm not joking.
';When the baby has poop all over its bottom, hold it upside by the ankle and hose it off';





My male friend told me this when I fell pregnant with my daughter. He was 14yrs old at the time.
If your child has colic blow smoke from a cigarette on the babies soft spot to sooth.
that i SHOULDN'T feed my newborn baby so much. My MIL told me this because i had just fed my daughter maybe 15 mins earlier and she wanted to feed again. she said my baby was eating too much
i havent but my neice was told to smoke weed during her pregnancy so her baby can be smart i know i was laughing my *** off
To put suppositories up my 6 months old bottom. There are other ways to stop constipation.
';If you hold your newborn too much you will spoil them.'; There is no possible way to spoil a newborn!
to rub my childrens' gums with whiskey when they're teething.
Dont breast feed in public its embarrassing for us ladies
Don't spoil your child or they will grow up to be like Paris Hilton
it's okay to beat your kids





now please help me!!


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment