Thursday, May 13, 2010

Does there seem to be a great deal of hostility on Yahoo!Answers in the parenting section these days?

If you want to see pure hostility, go to the Politics section. People there are either ask incredibly stupid questions or say things that are so inflammatory that I am sure that they are reporting each other for abuse.





Parenting is one of those subjects that invites conflict. If you are doing what you feel is right for your child, there is bound to be someone who thinks you got it all wrong. I don't care if its whether or not to circumsize, breast or bottle or whatever, everyone has an opinion and they think that theirs is the best.





Sometimes I think there is too much information out there and it is too easily accessible. When I had my oldest (she is 18), there was no internet as we know it, parents had to muddle through on their own or just read piles of books and hope to make the best decisions for their children and if we had issues, hopefully, there were other mothers we could talk to.





There are times when I miss those days. Does there seem to be a great deal of hostility on Yahoo!Answers in the parenting section these days?
Yes. But is it really that surprising? People's kids are the most important thing in the world to them, people tend to be very invested in the way they parent, not everyone parents the same way, and so an opinion forum like this one is bound to leave some people feeling defensive. Some people, when feeling defensive, lash out and get hostile.





Not that I'm supporting hostility and rudeness. To the contrary, I tend to get on people's nerves because I sometimes come off as the civility police on here. But I do understand what triggers it.








edit -- Marilyn -- I agree about the politics section. Such a bummer, because I'd love some spirited debate about politics, but that section is so full of attacks and invective that looking for some intelligent spirited debate is a needle in a haystack situation.Does there seem to be a great deal of hostility on Yahoo!Answers in the parenting section these days?
People are very passionate about their children and tend to take it personally if people parent differently than they do. Everyone wants to be a good parent, so if they think they are being told they are not (even when that is not the case), they immediately become defensive.





And to think I was going to ask about piercing my daughter's ears.





People come on here because they want advice, but some people are very small I'm afraid and suffer from ';everybody sucks as a mom but me'; itis.





Keep asking questions. I don't really care about hostility from anonymous strangers over the internet.





P.S. You want hostility, visit the adoption section some time. They give you the thumbs down for telling how many kids you have.
Yes indeed!! Just have to ask if you should bottle feed your baby or if you should pierce your infant daughter's ears... and you'll get a lot of hate if you dont get deleted!


I dont know why.. usually people ask for advice of more experienced moms.. not hate... or judgement....


oh well.........
Yes





To Arianna


i asked the question about '; to pierce your infant daughter's ears...';

No comments:

Post a Comment