Thursday, May 13, 2010

Does a married childless person ever have the right to criticize the parenting of another person's children...

...even if the person with children is making mistakes that are obvious?





Or, should the person without children alway shut up (or refer to CPS if children are in danger) because they ';don't know what it's like to raise children';?Does a married childless person ever have the right to criticize the parenting of another person's children...
I read a book that started with the sentence ';I used to be a very good parent... and then I had children';.





The truth is that you absolutely cannot know what parenting is right for anyone - even once you have children. It is actually worse when you have kids. You see other parents having a hard time with their kids and they have no idea how to teach the behavior they keep saying they want. I have friends who are parents who complain about how their kids behave and they ask me how I do I do this or that - I tell them what works for me. It doesn't work for everyone.





Back to your question - it would really depend on the situation and how close I was to the parents. I might start a conversation about parenting with a very good friend or sibling but as far as openly criticizing - I would say that is a no-no.Does a married childless person ever have the right to criticize the parenting of another person's children...
I think that any human being has the right to politely speak their mind when they see someone doing something to another person that they think is wrong or dangerous.





I think that parenting advice %26amp; inspiration can come from both sources that have experience %26amp; sources that don't. Sometimes the best ideas come from someone who can take a fresh look at things from the outside.





This doesn't mean that the parent has to do what the other person says, of course. But, they certainly have the right to say it. And, it wouldn't hurt to listen to what anyone has to say then filter it through their knowledge of themselves %26amp; their family.
If it's obvious the child is in danger, then we all should have an obligation to protect that child, regardless if we have kids or not.





In general, I don't know how people without kids can give useful advice (or criticize) people with kids on how to raise them. All they would know are the generalities, most common practices, etc. But having kids means you have to deal with the umpteen curveballs that get thrown your way...
Well, I think it depends on what is going on. You mentioned you are not referring to a dangerous situation. There can be a lot of times when I think criticism is warranted - any form of abuse (physical or emotional), not providing a healthy diet, not teaching proper manners. When it comes down to silly things, like what small children wear, what time they go to bed, etc....that criticism is not warranted (in my opinion).
I believe there is a big difference in criticizing parenting styles and recognizing a dangerous situation. IF is is just parenting styles stay out of it they are not your children and you do not know them they way their parents do, IF the children are in danger intervene not everyone has the common since to take care of another person(s).
A general consensus says that if you don't have kids, you shouldn't be giving advice. I don't necessarily believe this however. Jjust because one doesn't have kids, doesn't mean they don't have experience with them or common sense. I say use your best judgment annd obviously if a child is in danger, step in or call CPS.
That's a really tough question. My cousin has 2 boys and what she's teaching them is not really all that great. My advice would be talking to them not give criticizism but advice on what they may be teaching is not going to be helping for there children. In the end they are rasing these children not you so if they listin great if not well they cant blame anyone but themselves.
i say if know that something needs to be done in the parenting you should say it, just because you don't have kids doesn't mean you don't know what you are talking about especially if you had to help take care of sibling or another relative's children
If its something that puts the child's life in danger yes other wise no
they shouldn't give advice on something they have never done

No comments:

Post a Comment