Thursday, May 13, 2010

Do your inlaws respect your parenting choices and style or do they....?

disregard your ideas and wishes when they are on solo time with the grandkids?





I have wonderful ex in laws who still, even though I left their son, respect the way i parent, and never contradict my parenting style. I have been told I should consider myself lucky. Do your in laws respect you and your parenting style or not?Do your inlaws respect your parenting choices and style or do they....?
My parents, well it's really just my Mom, can tend to be a little disregarding to the way we parent our children. She does not like it when our two year old has to sit in time out and doesn't always follow the routine with her when we've let her keep our toddler in the past. We say our toddler gets one cookies, my Mom will give her two. Things like that. As a result she is not allowed to care for her by herself because we can't always trust that our daughter will be disciplined the way we ask. She tends to spoil our daughter and I mean really *spoil* her.





My husband's parents on the other hand are awesome with respecting our parenting styles and disciplinary rules. They have yet to disregard a thing we say when giving our wishes regarding our children. I really consider myself lucky there and they tend to keep our kids much more often than my parents. I love my parents, but my Dad is out of town a lot and my Mom just doesn't respect a lot of our parenting choices. She grew up without many rules or discipline and hates to see us have to correct our child.Do your inlaws respect your parenting choices and style or do they....?
My in-laws never support me or my husband in our decisions with our son. Case and point when he was born he was two months premature and we told his dad that when he comes to visit just to make sure that he doesn't smoke and takes a shower before he comes so he won't smell like smoke, he through a fit and didn't come all together. Then when we got him home we asked him for the same respect as we told him to do in the hospital and he wouldn't do it. He wold come into our home wreaking of cigarette smoke and would get mad when we asked him to leave. It made me so mad when he would act like this, I felt like he didn't care about how we felt or my son's health. My mother-in-law wasn't much better either.





So yes I would say count your blessings at least you don't have to fight with them just to get them to understand where you are coming from.
I still talk to my son's father's parents all the time even though my son's dad doesn't come around. They say that I am doing wonderful with the way I am raising him.

No comments:

Post a Comment