Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I need help understanding and parenting my bi-polar child, if anyone has real answers I would be thankful.?

i teach children with special needs such as this one and the best thing you can do is to have a consistant, predictable routine for all day seven days of the week. everyone in the family needs to be on the same page when exercising discipline and control. (none of this, momma does it this way but nanna does it that way stuff)


look for triggers that may set the child off and have a strategy in place for when it does (much like a fire escape plan)


surround yourself in support so that you will be able to support your child.


i dont know what else to tell you since you didnt indicate any other details and thats fine but here are some sites that i found that i thought were interesting and worth reading.





http://www.bipolarcentral.com/parentingb鈥?/a>





http://www.geocities.com/braun519/


this is a christian support group with lots of information from parents who deal with this every day


http://www.angelfire.com/home/bphoenix1/鈥?/a>





http://www.bpso.org/showinfo.php?topic=c鈥?/a>





i hope this has helped and the best of lluck to youI need help understanding and parenting my bi-polar child, if anyone has real answers I would be thankful.?
I do not have a child diagnosed bi-polar, but I have a good friend who has 2 daughters, both diagnosed bi-polar. In her case, the oldest one did not get a definite diagnosis until she was older, but the youngest was in 8th or 9th grade when diagnosed although they suspicioned she was bi-polar beginning sometime in 5/6 grade. Both her girls are out of high school now and living on their own, but I know when they lived at home my friend had a close relationship with the girls' therapist and doctors plus she joined several support groups. One was through the therapist's office, a support group for parents with children with bi-polar plus she belonged to at least 2 on line groups that I am aware of. I tried to be supportive as possible, but there were too many things I just couldn't relate to so I am glad she had the support groups to help her through. They went through quite a time with medications, finding ones that worked and as the girls got older, trying to make sure they took their medication. I am sorry I don't have more to offer you, but I know that this can be a very difficult situation and having a strong support group helped my friend immensely.I need help understanding and parenting my bi-polar child, if anyone has real answers I would be thankful.?
I don't have any children, but I have a brother who is bi-polar. I think as much as possible you and your family should try to avoid the negative stigmas attached to mental illness. In my family, it is understood that being bi-polar is not much different from being diabetic--it is not the fault of the afflicted person, it can be medically controlled, it is nothing to be ashamed of, there is a medical explanation for it, etc. You might want to join a support group or read as much literature on the topic as possible. Be prepared to have to combat ignorance and cruelty as people do have many stereotypes of those with mental illness. Oh, finally, don't let your child be defined soley by the illness. He/she can still be athletic or artistic or compassionate or greedy or funny or smart or whatever...don't let your child or anyone else define him or her as ';the crazy one'; or the ';mentally ill one.'; He/she is a child with a mental condition, as well as possessing a lot of other traits and characteristics.
The thing about changing the diet is true. The less processed foods they have the better off they are. My niece is bi-polar and I am with her alot. She is 8 and can act younger than my 6 year old sometimes especially if she doesn't get her way. She is very emotional but that can be controled through a good routine at home. The more omega 3 rich food he eats the better, whole grains, lean proteins, fish. My niece seems preoccupied with food sometimes so we really limit the sweets, if she does have sweets it's frozen yougurt with some fruit. She has a hard time dealing with change, for example my dad shaved his dog's hair for the summertime and my niece cried and got mad at my dad because the dog looked weird. She is very clingy but also very loving. She is adventurous and never stops talking. We try to be as normal as possible with her but she is a challenge. She is very into music and art, which has helped to ease her frustration. She does have to take some resource classes but it's because of her speech. She is a very bright child but can't always express herself and gets frustrated. We tried to put her in some after school activities but she was too distracted by all the other kids. Just be very understanding with your son, he is going to feel very sad,scared,angry, outrageously happy, all these things at any given time and not be able to explain why.聽 It's a series of emotions that go through these children very quickly and sporadicly. Just always listen and let him know that he has a good support system. I find structure, an all natural diet, good sleeping habits, art %26amp; music are very helpful in dealing with my sweet niece. I have never met anyone like her but she teaches me so very much.
Bipolar is a very complicated disease. I have it, but was not diagnosed until I was 40. By then, I had been married and divorced twice. Fortunately only two children. It affected them like any disease.I think it is great that your child has been diagnosed at an early age. It may save him/her from a very uncertain future. If their behaviour is erratic then they don't have the proper medication. You don't want them to be like a zombie but at the same time you want them to have a good quality of life. I put my children through hell and couldn't control it. Since I have been put on the right medications they can't believe the difference. Unfortunately, they lived through the most trying part of my life. Just love your child, try to understand your child and make dam sure he/she is getting the right medication for him/her. Thank goodness this was diagnosed now. Be loving and strong. Your children are your future. Good luck!
...sometimes I have read that the problem results from the diet the child eats.





Change his diet to eat more vegetables, much less sugary drinks, no drinks with the bright red, organge blue colors. matter of fact drop sodas even the diet and non caffine.





drink more water...eat more fruits.





proper sleep.





have the child drink Black tea that contains cinnamon and ginger (Chia Black tea normally has these ingrediants).





also a small dose of magnesium and calcium aong with the milk.





...you will see a dramatic change in less than two weeks.
http://www.bpkids.org/


and


http://www.bpchildren.com/





try these websites


and good luck it is very hard @ times but completely worth it to help your child become a controlled adult


stay strong
with bipolar disorder anything can set him or her off .... just be patient with the child when having a tantrum
How old is the child and what kind of problems are you having with the child?

No comments:

Post a Comment