Thursday, May 13, 2010

What parenting mistake did your parents make that you swore you would/will never make with your children?

For me it is being too lenient. In my house by the time I was 15 or so there really were no rules, I had no curfew; I was however working full time. While the idea of that much freedom at 15 sounds great, it to me except in very rare cases is just too much responsibility to put on a child.What parenting mistake did your parents make that you swore you would/will never make with your children?
i had the same type of parents and resent the freedom they gave me i never had chores or punishment.I chose bad things over education they never read to me and i am now pregnant now and i will read auto my child and will lay down the law!What parenting mistake did your parents make that you swore you would/will never make with your children?
Saying no just for the sake of saying no. Similarly, disciplining without a plan, reacting rather than thinking. Along the same line, spanking (there's always another option imo). Those are all things my mother did which I do not.
The biggest mistake my parents made was that they couldn't admit they made a mistake. So they had five children with that mistake(thinking it's not really a mistake, if we have children that'll make it better), and lived with that mistake until they could live no more. They both died pretty miserable people.


Now, I suddenly realize I'm living their life, albeit not married. I pick the wrong job and I just suck it up and make the best of it, never a happy worker, but try to convince myself everything's OK, not willing to consider the possibility that I made a mistake.
shipping my kids off to another relative[s] and completely ignoring them because i'm too busy with work.


that's what my parents did with me,


and i'm NEVER going to do that when i have kids.
I remember walking to the corner of the street and wait for the car of another parent to take me to the school. My parent go to the work to early and miss the important things in life.





Every morning I make breakfast to my kids and them ';drop'; them in the school.
I don't have children, but if I ever do, I will never lower their self esteem with ultra sarcastic teasing.





I will never discourage them from any goals they have set. I will encourage them, instead.
My mom = wanting to be my friend over an actual guiding figure.





My ';dad';= never caring enough to be there in the first place.








...not much to elaborate on..
I agree with you although my parents were very strict until i was in my early 20's and even then I had to tow the line. I am now a mother of two young boys and I am also strict with them although I have a better communication line happening. However, I will always have rules whilst they live with me and they know what is expected.


My husband parents used to make promises that were never kept - so in our home we never promise our kids anything we are not prepared to give/provide. I think this is an important rule when it come to gaining trust and eventually respect from your children. Being a parent is difficult and we believe that respect, responsibility and integrity should be part of parenting and whilst we are not perfect we hope that it will pay off once they are adults.


: )
I honestly believe that my father made no mistakes at all; he was an awesome dad. My mother was verbally and sometimes physically abusive and I always swore I'd do my best to be like my dad and the opposite of my mom. My kids are turning out great so far. My daughter is the first child, even including extended family, to attend college. No drug or criminal problems, nothing bad so far with any of my 3 babies. I think it's working :)





By the way, I do love my mother more than words can say and would kill someone for even looking at her wrong. I didn't realize it when I was growing up, but she suffers from mental illness. (I wouldn't want anyone to think that I hate her.)
Having 8 kids
I'm having trouble coming up with an example, but I do hear myself saying those annoying things to my daughters that my mom used to say to me, and thinking...oh no, I'm becoming my mother!!!
I was never allowed to question anything my parents said. Their word was gospel--even if I tried to talk it out calmly with them, even if I was just trying to understand. I don't have any kids yet, but when I do, I want to give them the opportunity to feel like their opinion is worthy of consideration. This particular behavior messed me up by making me feel unable to say no (which led to some bad times in my life) and making me feel unvalued.
Push education and get them involved in extra-cirricular activities. My parents did neither, and refused to let me play sports, band, participate in clubs, etc.
for me it was never encouraging or complementing for anything not matter how well I did


I had a 98% average all through school .


I wanted to learn to play an instrument but they wouldnt buy me one or even let me take lessons .


as a result every thing I have achieved Ive done on my own





I would make the same mistakes my parents did





One of the worst things they always said to me was that I was a dreamer and would never ever succeed in anything





Now I am a well known singer songwriter





BOY DID I EVER PROVE THEM WRONG
a**-whoopins... i don't see the need to do that with my kid
divorce. This is one of the most ignorant things a parent can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment