Sunday, May 9, 2010

Who Practices the ';Do as I say, Not as I do'; method of Parenting?

Just thought of it, Because I sure do Practice that Method and so far, so good!Who Practices the ';Do as I say, Not as I do'; method of Parenting?
YES...LOL i actally think that is quite common....and i do remember s a kid my parents using that saying.....perfect example i am a smoker....an i tell my sn if i ever catch him smoking there will be hell to pay..nd how it is such a gross habit......Who Practices the ';Do as I say, Not as I do'; method of Parenting?
Sometimes this method is appropriate.





Because as an adult I am privileged to do the following that my kids are not permitted to do:





-Have sex


-Drink (if I want to)


-Smoke (again if I want to)


-Drive


-Use knives (for cooking, mechanical purposes)


-Use power tools (my kids are only 3 and 1)


-Touch the camera (they would break it)


-Touch the VCR or DVD player (again, they would break it)


-Use cleaning solutions


-Handle medicines





Those are all things that fall under the DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO category.





However if a parent is swearing and then tells their child not to, I see that as misusing that ';rule';.
To a large degree, I do.


But I also try to practice what I preach, too, I try to be the best example of what they are to say AND to do.


So far, so good here too, the only hidden hypocrisy that I am guilty of is a Y!A obsession. I would tell them to run away from Y!A , but me, I keep running back to it.
I do, to a certain extent.





When it comes to things like bad words or drinking soda for example, my daughter knows that I'm allowed and she's not.





But when it comes to things like picking up after ourselves, I feel like I can't totally harp on her and expect something different if I'm not doing it too.
I never did, although that was a contention between my wife and I. I'm not talking about age appropriate differences like when you go to sleep or what you watch on TV. If you know know you have a bad habit like smoking why wouldn't you address that in yourself to set an example for your child.
I was watching one of those American police shows, and there was a woman who stole a cashier's purse from a religious book store.





But when her son wondered off and tried to take something, she said ';Put it back, that's not yours';.
sometimes it works sometimes not, my dad tried that and i just laughed at him and did my thing anyway. but we plan on trying that method as well.
you mean like don't drink diet soda and spend at least a couple hours a day outside running around?
Youre braver than I am. I cant even mention it.
It works.
Oh me me





I always tell them its ok for me cause Im big your little.

No comments:

Post a Comment